Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 6

Yesterday, for about 4 hours, there was no water. There. was. no. water. Ok.
Then, some drunken gopnik plowed his car into a telephone line near the Technoloshka station, and there was no internet. It's still acting all hokey. Ok, ok, so, no water, and no internet. That's ok, that doesn't make this Siberia, or way more like the U.S.S.R. than I ever wanted to get this close to again. I'm going to do some breathing exercises now...

...

Ok, I feel a little better. Oh, did I mention that yesterday on my way to my mother's place I was forced to listen to Russian radio for about an hour? Yes, and you know what they said? That they heard that Obama is naming Dr. Dre his Chief of Staff or the Surgeon General or something. Ah, I've missed that subtle Russian racism.

I've taken to reading the St. Petersburg Times. It's a paper for expats, just chock full of useful information. For instance here are some stories and headlines:
-- Medvedev Tells Police to Quell Signs of Crisis-Linked Unrest
Ok, this is a really cute little story about how now that there's another economic Crisis, kind of like there was 10 years ago, with unemployment rates going up, the street crime is going to rocket back up to New York in the 80's levels. I didn't believe my father when he threatened me with this, but apparently it's true. Also, they are planning to revive the Soviet-era practice of compulsory treatments for alcoholics. So that they don't commit street crime. Or something. Anyway, that can't be bad. Oh and by the way, all you hear about here is the Crisis. THE CRISIS. But I love Russian attitutude towards it. It's just very "We're fucked. Again. Oh well. We'll deal. We've been fucked before. Let's get ready for those food rationings." Seriously.

--Communists Use Anniversary To Tell Capitalist World: Told You So!
This might be the best headline and story I've seen so far here. Apparently, tens of thousands of still existing commies here took to the streets on Friday to celebrate the anniversary of the revolution, and were yelling things such as "Capitalists! We recommend you start reading Marx's 'Das Kapital'" Good solid advise from the communists everyone.

Ok, that's it for today.

3 comments:

Anonim said...

slushay, a zachem ti tuda voobshe uehala? Tebe delat' bilo nechego?

George Jay Wienbarg said...

легко знать почему я не комментирую: оно в русском! Отсутствие проблемы. Я буду использовать Babelfish. Мой русский соквартирант как раз вышел мне в начале месяца без извещения и без оплачивать ренту, и теперь хочет ее залемь назад. Она съела мою наблюдаемую еду, моему кабелю использовала мой компьютер все без оплачивать меня назад. Но она побежала вокруг квартиры нагой. Та компенсация?? Я одел в двери ее комната она предложила оплатить для, теперь она won' покрашенный t, пыль комнате chartreuse, левые и грязь дюйм - высокий, не оплатил электричество. Она хочет половину ее залеми задней части 500. Я не думаю что я задолжает ей что-нибыдь. Что она думает? Если я оплатить ее. I! Влюбленность! You' re! Блог, Polina!

Plusha said...

Omegagx, yes I had too much time on my hands, but also, I just needed a major change to restart my sparkplugs.

George, yes, running around naked s compensation.

Also, you can write your comment in English. The blog's in English, so the comments should be as well.